dangerous appliance
Help & Advice

Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

Carbon Monoxide is a KILLER (Children and Babies are more susceptible to Carbon Monoxide Poisoning) so please have a carbon monoxide alarm fitted in the room that is burning Coal, Wood or Gas.

Carbon monoxide poisoning occurs when carbon monoxide builds up in your bloodstream. When too much carbon monoxide is in the air, your body replaces the oxygen in your red blood cells with carbon monoxide. This can lead to serious tissue damage, or even death.

Carbon monoxide is a colourless, odourless, tasteless gas produced by burning gasoline, wood, propane, charcoal or other fuel. Improperly ventilated appliances and engines, particularly in a tightly sealed or enclosed space, may allow carbon monoxide to accumulate to dangerous levels.

If birds nest in your chimney on a yearly basis have an approved anti-bird cowl fitted. The nest can stop the fumes escaping via the chimney and could catch fire and cause structural damage to your property. If in doubt about your chimney, ask your chimney sweep for advice!

What to do if your Carbon Monoxide alarm goes off

Open windows and doors to vent the area, safely put your fire out or turn the gas off, call your gas engineer or chimney sweep to investigate why the alarm went off, do NOT relight your appliance until it has been given the all clear.

Please buy and fit a Carbon Dioxide as we like to keep our customers alive.

carbon monoxide detector

Where can I buy a Carbon Monoxide Alarm?

Your local DIY shop (support local businesses), Wickes, B&Q, Homebase, Robert Dyas or us at Chim-Me-Sweep.

The Law

The laws for Rented and Tenanted Properties, also covers new installations. Since 2015 all rented property’s/new appliances must have a carbon monoxide alarm by each appliance.

Useful links

CALL US

Help and Advice is FREE